• Creator
    Topic
    George Scola
    Participant

How important is the awareness of the “stage of grief’?

I only became aware of the stages of grief, many months into my recovery. It helped me better understand my situation and all the emotions I was dealing with, also allowed me process matters differently, be it my own, my wife and my family and friends. Unfortunately, it came to late for my wife and I, as our marriage fell apart within 10 months of my stroke.

I truly believe the stroke survivor and their families should be made aware of the stage of grief as early as possible, as it would promote understanding and as such, lead to better communication all around.

• Author
    Replies
    • George Scola
      Participant

There are five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance and apply to any sort of trauma one experiences.I found that knowing about the stages of grief, helped me understand why I was depressed or angry, as these were not common emotions I had experienced in my life, pre-stroke. So once I became aware, it helped me process these emotions as a normal stage which I had to endure in order for me to accept my new found dynamic in life.  Having not known, I do not think I could have recovered with the same motivation and belief. From: Strokefocus Member Services <delivery@strokefocus.net>
      Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 4:26 PM
      To: georgescola@gmail.com
      Subject: Compton Cam replied to “Stages of grief” on Emotions: “What people don’t understand is that the grief process is the same for death. I believe there…” 

• Compton Cam
      Participant

What people don’t understand is that the grief process is the same for death. I believe there are 4 stages and to move forward you must get through this.  It doesn’t matter if it’s you or someone else.  All must still grieve, only then can you have acceptance of this new you.  You are still you but different.  Embrace the new, the quirky.  I wanted the old me I didn’t like the new mebut as time went on I embraced everything about me and have moved forward in such a positive way.  Love it!  So grieve and move forward, always.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• clemsuder
      Participant

It is a shame that so many people do not know how to recognize grief. And the fact that it progresses along an anticipated path. It is still the individual that needs to become aware that what they are feeling is real for them, and others may not be aware of their struggles, or that a problem for them exists. The reality of life is that as much as we claim to be able to tell what others may be facing, we can not, unless they understand enough to tell us. It is not a weakness it is a fact. Do not allows your fear of what others may think or do to stop you from telling what is real to you.

Sent from my iPad

• Avashna Moodley
      Participant

I totally agree . My husband and I struggled through our marriage until we engaged a psychologist . After many sessions and expense , we were introduced to the stages of grief.Our main issue , was that I was a new person . My husband and extended family , didn’t accept my change and constantly expected normality .In hindsight , I realised how challenging this was on both sides. 
      RegardsAvashna Moodley CEOwww.hospital2home.co.za

• Strokefocus Admin
      Participant
      George, you made a very good point.
      I guess the first step is to help survivors and families get out of the state of confusion and despair. I was in deep sorrow as in the early stage, I had no idea how much I could recover and what to expect. Should I know what I know now, my stage of grief might not be as bad.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.