• Creator
    Topic
    Strokefocus Admin
    Participant

Tina, one my wife’s closest girlfriends’ uncle had stroke. My wife asked if I could help. I mentioned that I could forward Tina some resources.

“Oh please!” my wife was almost begging me not to. “You guys consider those pages and pages of medical jargon resource? Are you kidding? You think Tina can hold a cup of coffee and figure these things out right now?”

When stroke hit me out of blue in 2012, my wife went to google. She was petrified by an avalanche of 4000 search results, full of medical jargons. Many authors must have assumed people like my wife had a serious interest in earning a medical degree. She hated that experience.

“Jesus Christ, my husband is in the Emergency Room. I have kids to send to school. My house is in disarray. I cannot even think. Just tell me the 3 things I need to do right now!”

Ever since then, my wife has a very specific definition for resource: something someone can act upon in 3 minutes to get helpful results. She even has a litmus test. Can someone act upon them even if they are in panic?

If someone refers to those web pages full of “useful information” resources., she would beg to differ.

“Think how bad it will make us look if you send Tina links to these pages. Tina will be lost and she will conclude you do not care at all.”

My wife has a point. I could see the horrifying picture in her mind. Poor Tina is drowning in the ocean of overwhelming information which accomplishes nothing but confusing her further.

She kept asking me to set up a forum, which in her mind is a much better way to get true resources. “I wish I had that when you had stroke” she keeps telling me. I can just post my questions and someone will tell me at least how they handled it.”

Of course, always check with your doctors.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.