• Creator
    Topic
    Strokefocus Admin
    Participant

Thanks to the suggestion of our partnership team, we are opening this forum so that survivors and families can openly discuss our challenges. It is a brave experiment and we encourage you to take part.

Let’s get real. Stroke is a horrible thing. It disrupts and devastates our life. Yes, good things can come out of stroke just like very good things come out of people fighting Hurricane Katrina. But that does not turn Hurricane Katrina into a blessing.

The following are encouraged:

1. Openly share your challenges. Feel free to discuss the challenges stroke has brought on to you personally: loss of job, change in relationship, devastation to self confidence and many more.

Or things impacting you physically and psychologically such as anxiety, lack of sleep, mobility and physical challenges.

It is okay to tell everyone how hard it has been to you.

2. Feel free to make a complaint against things that need to improve: lack of post discharge support, dismissive professionals and lack of appreciation of what survivors are going through.

The following are not encouraged:

1. Personal attacks. Even if you sincerely hate someone, it is not a good practice to come here and complain about that person every 4 hours.

2. Promoting religious, political or racial bias. And please do not take this forum as a place to recruit new members for your church or mosque, or the political party you want to vote for.

3. Spreading self-destructive plans.

We want everyone to use this forum to express ourselves as much as possible. Every survivor is going through a remarkable journey dealing with frustration in every waking minute. Positive thinking often begins with letting out what is negative inside you. And you will see you are not alone.

Honesty and candor do not equate to negativity. No one should be judged that way.

• This topic was modified 54 years ago by .
  • Author
    Replies
    • micksmith
      Participant

My concussion (TBI) eventually revealed its blessing side a few months later. It so disrupted my memory at times that I eventually accepted that I wasn’t a super achiever any more and saw the advantage to being normal. It still feels like lazy and depression and sub normal but that is arrogance.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

• Strokefocus Admin
      Participant

I believe that mine was a blessing in disguise as I could have died on the operating table as I was scheduled to go for surgery on Tuesday morning and I had the stroke on Sunday morning. I now have all the time to give to people who are broken because of life going wrong in their lives. I also had an opportunity to make up for all the time I wasn’t home to spend time with my kids because I was working. It taught me the importance of life and to make the best of each day as tomorrow isn’t guaranteed.

Kele, what you said is amazing. Yes, it is important to appreciate what we have now.

I heard you are very active in Facebook helping other survivors. What are survivors discussing there?

• Kele Motshwane
      Participant

I believe that mine was a blessing in disguise as I could have died on the operating table as I was scheduled to go for surgery on Tuesday morning and I had the stroke on Sunday morning.  I now have all the time to give to people who are broken because of life going wrong in their lives. I also had an opportunity to make up for all the time I wasn’t home to spend time with my kids because I was working. It taught me the importance of life and to make the best of each day as tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.