• Creator
    Topic
    George Scola
    Participant

This year, global Int. Stroke Day was a real disappointment for me, or rather, perhaps reality finally set in, that the day is certainly not at all about survivors. I found the day was used as a marketing opportunity by academics, hospital groups, rehab centers and pharmas to raise awareness about stroke, knowing the signs FAST / BEFAST, causes of stroke, life style choices, prevention and whatever new medical procedure or treatment has been developed. What I’m trying to say is that no attention is given to the survivors and their families for the battles or struggles they have overcome, or NOT overcome. I feel survivors need a day where they are the focus, were they are given acknowledgement for their achievement, along side their carers, a day when they are the hero’s, not the victim….a day when survivors and carers are told, ‘Hey, you have overcome and you gonna be okay, everything’s going to workout!’ Am I being too sensitive?

• Author
    Replies
    • Ignatius Himbala
      Participant

I will borrow words of my fellow survivor and add a bit of some other
      dimensions. Unless there will be global political will we shall remain
      biblical lepers. We need support from our respective governments unlike
      what is obtaining on ground

• Donna Dymally
      Participant

No you are not being too sensitive.  Stroke triumphants do need to be applauded for moving through and thriving after a stroke experience.  Unless a person has moved through a stroke experience other people have no idea what it is like to successfully survive and thrive…..Kudos to you!!!

• Shaun vorster
      Participant

thank you George,although I believe whilst I agree,your sensativity meter definitely needs more buffering,having said that you as our fearless leader we can change it to more inline with your expectations.

• Tshidi Modiragale
      Participant

you are correct survivors needs a week will bring more awareness you are not sensitive at all this is a reality we are facing with our family and care givers,how can we make it better

• Faeezah Storer
      Participant

Thank you.

Warm regards,
      Faeezah.

• Thobeka Marumo
      Participant

This is definitely worth it, I think the name just highlights survivors directly. Most of us needed to know after our experience that others have walked this path, adapted and thrived after stroke. Life after experiencing stroke must be encouraged, we humans and lean on each other. In my language we have a proverb “umuntu, ngumuntu ngabantu” ( I’m because we are)a beautiful bond of sharing which connects us. I definitely like your suggestion Joyce. Thanks George for sharing your feelings and thoughts, it has brought a great idea for us.

• George Scola
      Participant

Hi Faeezah
      Thank you for your support.
      The Stroke Survivor Foundation has already begun doing some research into
      what is required. Once we understand the process and procedure, we will have
      to identify a date most suitable and with least ‘competition’ from other
      possible causes and/or public/religious holidays etc.

I will feedback to this particular topic and forum with any and all updates.

Regards

George

• Faeezah Storer
      Participant

#Hi George and hi everyone,

George, I hear you on this topic. I am with you and we have the right to be
      heard. Dedicate a day internationally to survivors. How do we go about
      doing it, procedurally?

Warm regards,
      Faeezah Storer.

• Joyce Hoffman
      Participant

Exactly, Kele! With the narrative changed, we would really make an impact.

• Joyce Hoffman
      Participant

By the way, if you want any help promoting, I dabbled in Public Relations
      for a small portion of my career.

• George Scola
        Participant

good to know 😌 thank you

• Joyce Hoffman
      Participant

So how about self-declaring International Stroke Survivor Day! Here in
      America, if there’s something so trivial as Sandwich Day, just go ahead and
      make it happen! Choose a day and month and voila! International Stroke
      Survivor Day is on the calendar! Mission accomplished!

• clemsuder
      Participant

I know we all need support and encouragement, it is good that we have this forum to get our thoughts out there. But no one can encourage someone who has not made the effort to pick them selves up. You can not look at what other professional groups put out there they are seeking money and they need to try to convince people that sending that money will impact the people they supposedly serve in order to get that money. However, every survivor needs to find it within themselves to continue doing the best they can in order to find true encouragement. Forgive the professionals they think that they have answers to something they have no truly full understanding of, they think enough money will solve problems. On the other hand the truth of what you feel is only fully known by you and no matter how loud you scream or complain no one other than you can really feel it. Other survivors know that feeling of helplessness, but they also can be negatively effected by someone who should be an example of how to survive blaming others. All survivors must understand god gave you the ability to give power to anything you choose so that if you choose wisely you will have peace and can encourage each other to find pease. Jesus said it is not that enters you that corrupts you, it is what comes from you. Find your peace by accepting what’s is no one can change it but you can make the best of it.

Sent from my iPad

• Shaun vorster
        Participant

good morning clem,I agree,recovery is up to us,a daily fight which is lifelong,but you get out what you put in.my “motto”is bring it on!I live by this motto and always have.have a lekker Saturday further,chat soon👍

• Donna Dymally
      Participant

No you are not overly sensitive.  Survivors should be openly celebrated for their achievements.

• Shaun vorster
        Participant

hi Donna,personally I celebrate surviving daily/internally ,but different strokes different files,have have a lekker Saturday further😘

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.